Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Passing of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

I saw this post on a friend Emily Thomas's blog and had to copy it, the quotes she chose are so touching and I feel can truly influence some of my best friends, people in my ward, and in my family at this time! This is a beautiful post and a tribute to a wonderful man! (Hope you don't mind Emily)

The Newlyweds, Wedding day, 26 May 1941


Our Dear Apostle
I love this man and his many years of wise counsel and direction. To honor him I am posting some of my favorite parts of his last conference address. I hope it comforts you as well. In a way it is a happy day to know that he has now joined his wife on the other side.


Come What May, and Love It....
October 2008


Quotes That Touched My Heart
"I think she (his mother) may have meant that every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don’t sing and bells don’t ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result."


"The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."


"The second thing we can do is seek for the eternal. You may feel singled out when adversity enters your life. You shake your head and wonder, “Why me?” But the dial on the wheel of sorrow eventually points to each of us. At one time or another, everyone must experience sorrow. No one is exempt."


"Learning to endure times of disappointment, suffering, and sorrow is part of our on-the-job training. These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others."
"The third thing we can do is understand the principle of compensation. The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude."


"As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trial. We can say, as did my mother, “Come what may, and love it.” Of this I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."


http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-9,00.html




A Part of His Testimony


“I wish I could engrave on every heart what I so keenly know and feel,” Elder Wirthlin said. “I bear unwavering testimony that our Heavenly Father and His divine Son, Jesus Christ, rule and reign, and that we must all understand that the gospel is everlasting. It is forever and applicable to all, and each of us is to be held accountable.”


http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/elder-joseph-b-wirthlin-a-life-full-of-adventure-and-joy-that-surpasses-understanding

5 comments:

Emily said...

I don't mind at all! I am glad you want to honor him too!

The Gray Family said...

his talk was my favorite this past conference...he was kind of a funny guy. I will miss him!

The Perry family said...

I'm about a million years behind on the blogs!!! Congrats!!! I didn't know you were prego until Dacia or Mashaide told me at THanksgiving. See what happens when you don't check the old blog!! Well, I'm so happy for you, only 9 days until your ultra sound!!! So, I'm probably only 3 weeks late with the congrats...well it doesn't change how happy I am! I hope your feeling okay and enjoy being pregnant!
Oh, and I did enjoy this post about Elder Worthlin. Thanks.

Jessica said...

hey...so i have our new family picture up and i instantly thought of you! i know i don't have to explain but i feel i must! josh's mom had family pictures done, for free by a friend of their's from church...you know we would use you in any other circumstance...how have you been feeling MOMMY!?

Philip and Melissa said...

Hey sister! Of course, lets do a Christmas card! Tell me what you want and I'll waive the "design fee" and I'll let you know what the print price is depending on what size you want. Email me or call me sweet prego!